Photo Mise Au Point Sélective De Livres épais

Do you dream of working in the field of translation? Between the professions of translator, interpreter or terminologist, to only name a few, you are spoiled for choice. However, before practicing in the field of your choice, you must go through your studies. Thus, in this article, we present the various training courses leading to the translation professions. 

First, you should know that there are several paths that lead to this sector. However, a minimum of 5 years of study is typically necessary to work in the translation professions. 

1- Degree training: 

  • AFL (Applied Foreign Languages): This degree accepts bachelor’s students with a good mastery of two foreign languages and applies them to professional fields such as business, tourism or translation. 
  • LLFRC (Languages, Literature and Foreign or Regional Civilizations): this degree also welcomes bachelor’s student and aims to deepen a chosen language by exploring the culture of the countries where it is spoken. 

Don’t forget that if you start with a degree, you will likely have to follow up with a Master degree. 

2- Master degree training: 

  • INALCO master’s degree: Two Masters are available in the field of translation: Translation, Multilingual Writing and Mediation and Linguistic Engineering in the Translation and Information Management course. 
  • IT-IRI (Institute for Translation, Interpreters and International Relations): This Institute offers three master’s degree courses for translators, one in Professional Translation, one in Audiovisual Translation and another in Literary Translation. There is also the possibility to integrate the master’s in Conference Interpretation. 
  • ESIT: the college of interpreters and translators is open to every degree owner who has passed the entrance exam. It offers a professional master’s degree in Editorial, Economic and Technical Translation, a master’s degree in Conference Interpretation, a master’s degree in French Translation and Interpretation, a master’s degree in Translation Studies and a Doctorate in Translation Studies. 
  • The UCO (Catholic University of the West) offers a master’s degree recognized by the European Commission to become a linguist or trilingual translator. 
  • AFL (Applied Foreign Languages): This professional master’s degree prepares students for international jobs. It is possible to integrate it after obtaining a degree in a field compatible with a master. 

Other training courses to prepare people for the translation professions are also available throughout France. Among them, you will find master’s degrees for: 

  • Translator and Interpreting 
  • Commercial and Legal Translator 
  • Specialized English Translation 
  • Cultural Translation 
  •  Language Industry and Specialized Translation 
  • Literary Translation and Critical Edition 

3- Training courses in schools specialized in translation: 

In these schools, you will benefit from a complete 5-year course equivalent to a master’s degree. 

  • ISIT: The Institute of Management and Intercultural Communication welcomes students as soon as they have obtained their bachelor (or an equivalent) and offers training in management, communication, translation, conference interpreting and law. However, keep in mind that these studies are chargeable. 
  • ESTRI: The School of Translation and International Relations offers a degree in Languages Translation and International Communication. It also offers a master’s degree in Intercultural Communication and Events Management and a master’s degree in Specialized Translation and Liaison Interpretation. 

Now you know which courses to look for if you want to work in the field of translation! 

Scroll to Top