Header Berlin Translate - Translation Agency in berlin

Recognition of Qualifications

Have you got a degree certificate or diploma that you wish to have recognised in Germany?

Here you will find all the information about the required documents, the costs and the authorities responsible. In a number of cases, the employment agency will take care of the fees to have your foreign qualification recognised. 

Note: there is no central office for the assessment of foreign diplomas. The recognition and assessment of foreign school, university or professional qualifications is carried out by different bodies.

Certified translations – quick and easy!

Relevant offices for the recognition of qualifications

The school leaving qualification is part of the system of law and allows students to continue their education or their professional development. It plays a decisive role in everyone’s life, and not only in Germany. In Germany, there are four possible school-leaving certificates. 

For the following school leaving certificates, please contact the office for the recognition of certificates in your federal state: 

  • Hauptschulabschluss 
  • Realschulabschluss
  • The general university entrance qualification (Abitur)
  • Qualification for entry to an institution of higher technical education

For higher education qualifications such as degree certificates, but also for professional qualifications, you will find the relevant authority on the website [“Anerkennung in Deutschland”] (https://www.anerkennung-in-deutschland.de/html/de/).

You can also find out much more information by setting up a meeting at your local employment agency or advice centre for the ‘Integration through Qualification’ support programme. 

Required documents

For the recognition procedure, you must present a certain number of documents in the form of a translation or a certified copy.  Please inquire at the advice centre or office for recognition in advance to know which documents are required. The requirements vary depending on the person’s country of origin. Here you will find an overview of the required documents, listed by country.


In general, the following documents are required: 

  • Request for the recognition of your qualifications (you can get this from the relevant office) 
  • Identity card / Passport 
  • Proof of a change of name 
  • Residence permit (for refugees/asylum seekers a ‘proof of arrival – AKN’) 
  • Certificates 
  • Tabular CV in German

The following documents must be submitted as certified translations

  • Proof of your professional or academic qualifications (e.g. your degree certificate) 
  • Proof of the content and duration of the course (e.g. list of subjects and notes, textbook, Diploma Supplement, transcript of marks) 
  • Any other qualifications (e.g. certificates of continuing education or retraining)

What is a certified translation?

In order for your certificates to be recognised in Germany, the offices for recognition require a translation of your qualifications into German. It is absolutely vital that the translation is done with certification. 

A certified translation is the translation of an official document, bearing the translator’s certification mark. These types of translation can only be performed by translators sworn in before a court. With their signature, stamp and certification mark, the translator confirms the accuracy of the translation. This ensures the authenticity of the translation in a legally binding manner.  When you order your translation from Berlin Translate, we guarantee that the translation will be carried out by a court-sworn translator. 

Additional quality assurance is provided by the principle of double-checking – as well as by our certification according to the European quality standard DIN EN ISO 17100 for translation services. If the translation needs to be done quickly, we also offer an express service which enables you to meet even the tightest of deadlines. And of course, we handle all of your documents confidentially!

Absorption of costs by the employment centre 

The recognition of qualifications and diplomas as well as the translation and certification of certificates costs money. In a number of cases, the employment centre or other agencies pay the translation costs. Please check the coverage of costs with your agency or employment centre before submitting your application. You will receive an invoice from Berlin Translate for each translation you have ordered. You can submit this to the employment agency for the payment of costs. Apart from employment agencies, there are other organisations which will reimburse your translation fees, the Federal Government Recognition Grant for example. This grant also covers the cost of the translation fees. 

If you meet the following conditions, you could be reimbursed for your translations up to €600: 

  • You have acquired a professional qualification abroad that you wish to have recognised in Germany.
  • You have been registered as having your principal residence in Germany for three months.
  • You earn less than €26,000 per year (€40,000 for married couples). 

The allowance will be paid after the submission of your translation invoices.

Submission of documents for recognition

Once you have translated and certified your translations and you have completed your application in full, submit all the necessary documents to the relevant office. 

Please note that the assessment of your diploma or certificate can take up to four months. At the latest, you will receive a decision on the assessment of your diploma within a period of four months.