How to manage to live abroad? Here is a list of different ways.

Have you ever dreamed of living abroad? This article offers you several ways to make it possible (including options such as studies, work, volunteering, obtaining specific visas, etc.). It includes a list of pros and cons for each and every option and advised on how to apply for a job. It is addressed to all the ages, origins and education levels.

Living abroad is one of the most valuable experiences for yourself. It allows to challenge yourself in new conditions and solve unusual problems in order to grow as a person. On a more serious note, if you can, do it.

No problem you could face while being there is worse than the regret and the eternal “what if” if you do not go. A lot of people are wondering how they could live abroad when they do not have enough money to just visit another country.

Here is a list of all the possible options to give you the chance to live abroad and have your life changed for better. The first part of the list will offer you options to work and earn money abroad. The second one will give you ways of living abroad with money or not. We hope that you will find one or more options that will help you.

Living abroad with a student visa and working at the same time

It is a very common way to get a chance to live abroad. A host of countries allow foreign students to legally work while they are in college. In this case, there are two types of schools: colleges and technical schools. You can study anything, including the language of the country in which you live.

In most cases, the student can only work part-time, around 20 hours a week. Here are several countries where it is legal: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Ireland, United States, Germany, France, Spain, and many others…

There are many possibilities for student jobs, but do not get your hopes up. For example, you can hope to work as a waiter, babysitter or delivery person.


  • It is rather easy to get a student visa
  • You legally work on your visa (in several places)
  • You can use it as an excuse to learn another language
  • You are be well paid to some countries
  • You discover the student life in another countries
  • There is no age limit

Doing a work exchange abroad during your summer holidays in college

It is a great system where you can work abroad during your holidays in places such as hotels, ski resorts, and theme parks. The main destination for working is the U.S., but you can also go to other countries such as France and Ireland.

To take part in it, you must be a college student in your home country, have an intermediate level in the language of the country you are going to, and be willing to spend at least 3 months of your holidays working. You have to be between 18 and 25. To be honest, I never took part in this program, but I met a lot of people that did and enjoyed.

You will have to make an initial investment that, honestly, may not pay off in the end.

However, it will probably be one of the cheapest ways to spend 3 months abroad speaking another language, earning money, and having fun with people that share the same ideas than you.

How to manage to live abroad: applying for a working holiday visa

An option that many still do not seem to know about is the “working holiday visa”. A working holiday visa is a residence permit that allows travellers to work in a specific country and to fund their trips. With the visa, you can experience living abroad without having to suffer of finding someone to sponsor a work visa before you arrive or pay for expensive study abroad programs.

This is a great option for those who do not want to invest a lot of money in an exchange program and just wish to work without studying. However, the visa does not prevent you from studying or just traveling the country if you want to. It is a one year visa that lets you do almost everything you want!


  • Low start-up costs (you just have to pay the visa)
  • You can do whatever you want with the visa, you do not just have to work
  • There are many options according to your nationality
  • If you work there, it can be added to your résumé

How to manage to live abroad: finding a job that will sponsor your work visa

Basically, it is not impossible to find a job abroad. It is not easy, but it not impossible.

There are two ways:

  1. The company in which you work in your home country sends you to work in one of its foreign subsidiaries.

It is the easiest way if it is available, because your company will take care of all the bureaucracy and paperwork to take you abroad. Moreover, you are sure to have a job.

2. You find a job abroad on your own.

Obviously, it is a lot more difficult since you have to look for a job alone. The most significant thing is to find a job in a company that will sponsor your visa. This is never easy but it is possible, especially if you work in a high-demanded field around the world. Here are jobs where you can easily get a sponsored work visa: au pair girl/boy or English teacher.


  • You work legally so no fear of being deported, fined or banned from a country
  • You can do something in your main career field
  • Your employer will take care of the paperwork/visa issues
  • You will arrive in the country with a regular job and a visa in hand

Trying to get a second citizenship

For some people, it is easier than for you. And people do not often realise it is possible! There are 3 ways to get another citizenship:

  1. Through your family

In this case, you will need a parent, grandparent, or even a great-grandparent who has a citizenship of another country. In the case of Brazilians for example, the most common are Portuguese, Italian, or German.

Each and every country has different rules about how to get citizenship for relatives. You have to search on the website of the country to check if you can get it and how.

Obviously, it is a difficult, slow, basically cheap process.

2. Through a residence permit and then citizenship depending on the length of your stay

If you spend a lot of time living legally abroad, you often get a residence permit, and even citizenship. Each country has different rules so check on the immigration website of the country that you are interested in. However, it means that you will have to find a way to legally live and work in the country beforehand.

3. Through marriage

It also depends on each country, but even if you cannot get citizenship, if you are married, you will at least be allowed to live and work in your loved one’s country…


  • You will live and work legally
  • You have the same benefits (and duties) as other citizens of that country
  • You may be able to enter ne countries without a visa (especially if it is a developing country)
Scroll to Top